Saturday, April 25, 2009

25-04-2009 (Week 15) - Copenhagen

Ok, so the big story in this one was I was hit on by a gay guy. And by hit on, I mean he made a move on me. Fortunately for me, there's no video footage of this, or pictures of the perpetrator, but it was an interesting night to say the least. We started off at a Barcelona bar, where Jeff original met the perp and his girlfriend. Jeff claims his gay-dar went off right away, but I have my doubts. Nevertheless, it's safe to say that I don't have a gay-dar unless they have a lisp and are wearing dresses.

To set the stage, we had a fairly large group of people (all male), probably about 8 or so. And Copehagen is the land of the bikes. We saw thousands and thousands of bike throughout the city. This city relies on bikes so much that they have a special biking sidewalk. I know what you're thinking, but have you ever seen a biking sidewalk a different elevation than the regular sidewalk and the street that runs on every street? I didn't think so.


Anyway, the point is that Claus and Heidi (the two people that we met) had bikes and we did not. And seeing as this was a biking town, it was very popular and practical to have a lugguage rack over your rear wheel. Only tonight these bikes became people racks. We all took turns riding on the back of Claus and Heidi's bikes. Claus certainly wasn't bashful about making sure people had something to hang onto while was riding...

As time passed, myself and Slat-man found ourselves on the back of the bikes and away from everyone else. This wasn't uncommon because bikes tend to go faster than a slow moving group of 20 something drunkards. What was unusual though was when Heidi tried to ride back to find them and they weren't there. We decided to embark upon the agreed upon destination anyway, a world-famous DJ in Copenhagen. All during our search, Claus was telling Slat-man and me that the US was an underdeveloped country, of course which we took offense to.

As it turned out with many of the bars that evening, they were open, but not letting people in because it was so late. We ended up buying some really warm beers from some guy on the street and finding a local pub to hang out in for awhile. It was in this pub we met a frenchman who couldn't talk but could hear perfecty. We thought this strange, but on the very off chance that this was his condition, the reprocussions for calling his 'bluff' would almost be unbearable. Therefore we played along with his sharades, only to find out that's all they really were, was a cruel game, but again, I'd rather have played it that way than the other.

It was also in this said bar that Claus openly admitted to us that he was gay. I found 0ut later that Slat-man had known this all along, but thought he's play a social experiment with me and not tell me. Of course, we both were ok with that and kept on about our business. Once we tired of that bar we headed off to the only bar we knew we could get into at 5am, and that was a gay bar. I will not write of everything I saw in the gay bar, because there was some stuff that should remain to be seen and not read, but I will say the gay guys seemed to be shy about using the troff in the men's bathroom when someone else was using it (and it was clearly made for 3 people). That struck me as a little odd but I wasn't complaining.

After awhile is when the magic happened, and I will let you watch the video to get the full story. But we ended up leaving the bar around 7am, and heading back to the hostel, where we continued to sneak beer from under the hostess nose while she prepared breakfast (there was a tap at the recetion desk).

The next morning Slattery and I awoke at 3pm to ride a rollercoaster in Tivoli park 2 times for a rediculous amount of money and riding crappy free bikes around town all day. It was a very good way to tour the city.

That night we hit up and ice bar (a bar made completely out of ice) and Ticknor and I owned the dancefloor (as can also be seen in the video). After another long night we awoke Sunday to head to the Carlsberg brewery. Copenhagen all in all will be remembered for one thing in my mind, but it certainly had lots to offer....


No comments:

Post a Comment